Effective as of February 12, 2019
- What information we collect and why we collect it.
- How we use that information.
- The choices we offer, including how to access and update information.
We’ve tried to keep this policy as simple as possible but if you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.
2. Information that we collect.
We collect information in the following ways:
2.1 Information you give us.
For example, information that you provide to us when contacting us for inquiries about potential business or research opportunities or employment details information that you send us in a CV, resumé or other details of your employment history that you send us in connection with an advertised job vacancy or a general inquiry regarding employment opportunities with us. When you contact us, we may ask for personal information, like your name, email address, telephone number and other details.
2.2 Information we get from your use of our Site.
The Site is operated by or on behalf of Makani. We may collect information about the parts of the Site that you use and how you use it. This information includes:
2.2.1 Device information.
We may collect device-specific information (such as your hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information including phone number).
2.2.2 Log information.
When you use our Site, we may automatically collect and store certain information in server logs. This may include:
- details of how you used our Site
- Internet protocol address
- device event information, such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL
- cookies that may uniquely identify your browser
2.2.3 Location information.
We may collect and process information about your actual location and use various technologies to determine location, including IP address.
2.2.4 Local storage.
We may collect and store information (including personal information) locally on your device using mechanisms such as browser web storage (including HTML 5) and application data caches.
2.2.5 Cookies and similar technologies.
To improve your user experience, we may use various technologies to collect and store information when you visit our Site, and this may include using cookies or similar technologies to identify your browser or device. You may set your browser to block all cookies, including cookies associated with this Site or to indicate when a cookie is being set by us. However, some website features or services may not function properly without cookies.
A cookie is a small file containing a string of characters that is sent to your computer when you visit a website. When you visit the website again, the cookie allows that site to recognize your browser. Cookies may store user preferences and other information. Other technologies are used for similar purposes as a cookie on other platforms where cookies are not available or applicable. Our Site sets cookies that last for varying times. Some last only for the duration of your web session and expire when you close your browser or exit the Site. Other cookies are used to remember you when you return to the Site and will last longer.
2.3 Information we get from third parties.
We may also get third party information such as candidate information to recruit talent, market or industry data to help us evaluate business or research opportunities or other commercial data to facilitate normal course of business operations.
3. How we use information that we collect.
We use the information we collect to provide, maintain, protect and improve our Site; or to recruit and hire talent.
We may use information collected from cookies and/or other technologies to:
- facilitate your use of and improve overall quality of our Site and your user experience;
- remember that you have visited us before. This means we can identify the number of unique visitors we receive;
- customize elements of the layout and/or content of the pages of the Site; and
- collect anonymous statistical information about how you use the Site, so that we can improve the Site.
3.1 Transfer of personal information.
3.2 Right of access and updating your personal information.
Whenever you use our services, we aim to provide you with access to your personal information. If that information is wrong, we strive to give you ways to update it quickly or to delete it – unless we have to keep that information for legitimate business or legal purposes. When updating your personal information, we may ask you to verify your identity before we can act on your request.
We may reject requests that are unreasonably repetitive, require disproportionate technical effort (for example, developing a new system or fundamentally changing an existing practice), risk the privacy of others, or would be extremely impractical (for instance, requests concerning information residing on backup systems).
Where we can provide information access and correction, we will do so for free, except where it would require a disproportionate effort. We aim to maintain our services in a manner that protects information from accidental or malicious destruction. Because of this, after you delete information from our services, we may not immediately delete residual copies from our active servers and may not remove information from our backup systems.
3.3 Information that we share.
We do not share personal information with companies, organizations and individuals outside of Makani unless one of the following circumstances applies:
3.4 With your consent.
We may share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside Makani when we have your consent to do so.
3.5 For external processing.
3.6 For legal reasons.
We may share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside Makani if we have a belief in good faith that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
- meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request
- enforce applicable terms of service, including investigation of potential violations
- detect, prevent or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues
- protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Makani, our users or the public, as required or permitted by law.
4. Information security
We work hard to protect our Site and any information that we hold from unauthorized access or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction. In particular:
- We review our information collection, storage and processing practices, including physical security measures, to guard against unauthorized access to systems
- We restrict access to personal information to Makani employees, contractors, service providers and agents who need to know that information in order to process it for us and who are subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations. Individuals may be disciplined or their contract terminated if they fail to meet these obligations
7. Contacting us